Another unconstitutional power grab? How original.
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, President Barack Obama’s point man on the fiscal cliff negotiations, presented Republican leaders a proposal to avoid the fiscal cliff on Thursday, which gives Obama unprecedented powers to raise the debt ceiling whenever he wants.
The White House proposal includes $1.6 trillion in tax increases, a one-year deferral of sequestration, and $400 billion in savings from Medicare and other programs.
In addition, the White House’s initial offer also gives Obama the authority to raise the debt ceiling essentially to infinity without congressional approval and a “multi-year” stimulus package that would be “at least” $50 billion for fiscal year 2013.
Earth to Obama: the founders separated the power of the purse from the Executive branch for a reason: so that wannabe dictators like you would have SOME checks on your powers!
Speaker Boehner’s response? “You can’t be serious“:
Boehner tells “Fox News Sunday” that after Geithner briefed him privately on Thursday, he looked at Geithner and said, “You can’t be serious.” Boehner called it “silliness” that the White House was, among other things, asking Congress to give up its power to set the nation’s debt limit.
No, they’re not serious about resolving this like adults…which is why Republicans should WALK AWAY.
Cross posted at ThoughtsFromAConservativeMom.com
- How Republicans Can Win The ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Battle
- Treasury Secretary Geithner: Lift Debt Limit to Infinity
- Pelosi: Give Obama Power to Personally Lift Debt Limit to Infinity
- McConnell ‘Burst Into Laughter’ as Geithner Outlined Obama’s Plan
- Boehner to Geithner: ‘You Can’t Be Serious’
- Democrats Refuse To Pass A Budget, Says It’s Not Needed
- Dems Lay the Groundwork For Obama to Abuse 14th Amendment to Raise Debt Ceiling
- The Debt Ceiling and Dictatorship: President Cannot Act Unilaterally to Raise Debt Limit