Yesterday, an armed 22-year-old lone gunman opened fire in the food court at the Clackamas Town Center mall near Portland, Oregon. He killed two people and critically injured a third before cowardly taking his own life.
This mall isn’t far from where I live. I had actually planned to take my kids there that afternoon to do some Christmas shopping and get a watch battery, but changed my mind that morning. If I hadn’t, I would likely have ended up huddling with my three little ones in a back room somewhere, praying the gunman wouldn’t find us and hoping not to run out of snacks and diapers before the cops rescued us.
The mall is considered a “gun free zone,” and since it’s private property, shoppers aren’t permitted to conceal carry on premises .
Less than 24 hours after the massacre, Democrat State Senator Burdick had her gun-control legislation prepared , which leads me to suspect that she had already drawn it up, and was just waiting for an incident like this that she could exploit to bring it forward. Right on cue.
In the wake of the Clackamas mall shootings, Oregon state Sen. Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, on Wednesday launched an effort to round up support for legislation to ban the sale of high-capacity gun magazines.
Burdick said she introduced similar legislation in 2011 but was unable to get a hearing on the bill. She said the Clackamas shootings — along with a spate of other shootings involving a gunman able to rapidly fire a large number of shots — might lead to more political support for her proposal.
“I’m not saying this will end gun violence,” said Burdick. “But if people can’t go waltzing into a gun shop and buy a 50-round magazine, I think that is a positive step.”
Leave Senator Burdick a respectful message like:
I heard that you are circulating a petition on the coat tails of the violence in Clackamas. It is my understanding that the mall is a gun free zone. It is my opinion that we would be safer if we outlawed “gun free zones”. In situations like what occurred in Clackamas (and others), people need to be able to defend themselves.
With kind regards…
Cross posted at ThoughtsFromAConservativeMom.com
- Jefferson Smith and Other Anti Gun Nuts Spout Off About Clackamas Town Square Mall Shooting
- Sadists: Gun control advocates already politicizing Oregon mall shooting
- Clackamas Oregon Shooting: Why It Should Not Reignite the Gun Control Debate
- We Can’t Make Americans Safer By Making Them Defenseless
- Armed Citizen in TX Stops Shooting Spree and Saves Cop by Making 150+ Yard Shot With a Pistol
- Female Store Clerk Gets in Gun Fight With 3 Armed Robbers and Wins
- Pistol Packing Lady Stops Armed Robbery Before It Happens in Wyoming
- Why You Shouldn’t Engage an Active Shooter And What to Do If You Do
- MSNBC Uses Oregon Shooting to Advocate Gun Control